Wednesday 5 September 2012

Why did I buy that pretzel?!

I am one of those people who will crave a Burger King the minute I see an advert, and I will not stop craving a delicious Chicken Royale until I get one.  In my recent times of poverty, this has proven to be an issue.  When craving a Chicken Royale during my recent "pissertation hell" I trotted along to my local next to the university to find that the remaining £4 in my purse would not purchase me a meal. I could afford the sandwich alone, but without money for a diet Coke, that would not make for a fun lunch.  I therefore continued my cravings until the next day, when some pocket money came in (receiving pocket money age 22 is cool yeah?) and I could finally afford to satisfy my Burger King lust. IT WAS GOOD.

So if an advert has this effect, imagine what happens with a free sample.  Free samples of cinnamon pretzels make me crave a big, massive pretzel.  In fact, in knowing that Westfield always dish out pretzel samples, I am now like Pavlov's dogs, salivating at the very idea of heading to Westfield.  On a recent trip to the west side Westfield, I had actually forgotten about pretzels.  I am usually shopping window shopping at east side Westfield and didn't quite make the connection that west side probably sold pretzels too.  After a massive late lunch I was stuffed.  Truly stuffed.  As I stormed about trying to find the impossible item with the world's biggest shopping hater, Ms Pretzel put the tray in my face.  I had to take a piece...they smelt sooooo good. And that was it. I was now craving a cinnamon pretzel.

I tried to carry on shopping, and when I almost started crying because I couldn't wear the teeny hotpants my best mate could, it seemed silly to buy one after the huge late lunch.  But my cravings got the better of me, as always, and I searched again (Westfield's are huge and maze-like) for Ms Pretzel to buy myself a whole, giant pretzel.

And it was worth it. Every single bite. If only free samples of granola bars had the same effect on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment